Many common household products may be hazardous to your family’s health and the environment. Play it safe - try the steps below.
1. Avoid household products marked “Danger”. Look for the word “danger” on cleaners, polishes, paint strippers, and pesticides. “Danger” means the product could poison you, cause serious damage to your skin or eyes, or easily cause a fire.
2. Reduce your need for yard and garden pesticides. Pesticides are poisons. Besides killing bugs and weeds, they may also poison children, irritate eyes or skin, cause cancer or kill birds and fish.
3. Recycle used motor oil. Water from storm drains is not treated and oil could end up in our streams and lakes, threatening fish and birds.
4. Use less-toxic cleaners. Some cleaners contain very hazardous ingredients that can burn your eyes, skin or lungs. Look for safer name brand substitutes at your local grocery store, or use simple alternatives. There are many everyday household products we all keep on hand that can be used for cleaning without doing damage to the environment. These include water, vinegar, baking soda, borax, mineral oil, newspapers, and rags.
5. Dispose of leftover hazardous products properly. Careless disposal of hazardous household products in a storm drain or sink can pollute local groundwater. If you throw them in the garbage, the chemicals can endanger collection and disposal workers.
For additional support on ways to introduce safer products into your household visit any of these websites:
Household Products Database--Health and Safety Information
Eco-labels--find out what the labels on your favorite products really mean http://www.greenerchoices.org/eco-labels/eco-home.cfm?redirect=1
Health Notes by Evelyn Ames--Antibacterial Household Products http://www.wwu.edu/wwura/0810.pdf
EPA Fact Sheet--Safe Substitutes At Home http://www.omasgartenpflanzen.com/Safe_Substitutes_At_Home.pdf
Eco-cycle--Eco-friendly Cleaning Recipes
Healthfacts--How to Keep Your Home Clean — but Not Toxic http://www.beliefnet.com/healthandhealing/getcontent.aspx?cid=100542
(Kristine Burke, M.D.) Great medical practice and team. Dr. Burke's personal attention to detail and explanation to my questions are greatly appreciated. I'm so grateful I found Dr. Burke. Her enthusiasm and knowledge is refreshing as we dig through years of health issues I could not find solutions or causes for. I found out many of my issues resulted from damaging prescrip...
(Kristine Burke, M.D.) I love this practice model! I've never felt better. Find the problem and fix it instead of treat the problem with drugs - brilliant!
(Kristine Burke, M.D.) I greatly appreciate the availability of the Dr.'s time and short waits for appointments. I think being rushed in and out serves little purpose. From the day I started going to Dr. Burke I expressed my expectations of my doctor, which are what we get now. I'm sure there is a lot I don't understand in terms of insurance coverage and laws in this state,...
(Kristine Burke, M.D.) I am pleased with the practice because you are an essential part of my health improvement plan, my health is improving, I like the extensive nature of healthcare, the practice continues to evolve in a positive direction, the amount of time spent with Dr. Burke is excellent, I don't feel rushed and all questions are answered, and the staff is helpful, ...
(Kristine Burke, M.D.) I like that I am not just treated for a specific symptom, but that my overall health is evaluated. I like that I can call and usually get an appointment for myself or my children within 24 hours, and sometimes the same day if crucial. The fact that my daughter gets free healthcare through her employer (Sutter Health) and sees Sutter providers but she ...
I feel sooo.....happy that I was introduced to True Health Center For Functional Medicine. All of the employees are present and much more involved in the individual's health. Thank You!